Wednesday 19 May 2010

Be Careful What You Say

I am not very good at holding my tongue.  I am certainly not very good when it comes to swearing.  I do it all the time, especially when something angers me, I find it de-stresses me.  I have to let it out.  Better out than in, isn't the saying?  But obviously I have to watch myself in front of my two children.  (Maybe a swear box would help!?).

Ben is now five and growing up so fast, and Kieran is three, soon to be no longer small enough to be my baby. I swear I am not broody!  (Photo: on our way to the Isle of Wight aboard the Red Funnel Ferry in October 2009)


I'm saying 'flipping' a lot lately.  And I quickly change 'bloody' to 'bloomin' and trying to remember it as 'Oh my goodness'... which sometimes comes out God-ness!

Gosh you don't know how hard it is for a compulsive swearer! 

Anything that I do mumble accidentally, I'm hoping falls on deaf ears! 

I watched an episode of Desperate Housewives the other day, which covered this topic of a child using profanities.  I laughed so hard as Gabby and Carlos argued using the word blank, blanked and blanking!  Maybe I should try using that word?

But there are other things I say, which aren't rude, but I must say quite a lot.

Like today, for instance.  Kieran and I were talking about a cuddly toy that he'd taken out.  I usually don't allow them to take toys out with them, for fear they will get lost, and usually wherever we are going there are bound to be plenty of toys or things to do, so they are not needed.  Today we were off to Stars In Training, and Kieran needed to be entertained while Ben was in his class.  So I allowed 'Monkey' to travel with us.

Monkey was apparently ill, so Kieran told me, and when I asked him what was the matter with Monkey, why was he poorly, Kieran answered, "because I said so."

When one of my children are not doing as they are told, or asked, I sometimes count to three, with the fear of a punishment if I get to three they usually start doing as they are told.  Kieran (or Ben  - depending on who is being naughty) starts to count for me now.... One... Two....

Then, the other day, I got showed up rotten by my three year old.  I'd met a friend and her two children at our local farm (Puxton Park) which has a play den.  I have membership, so it works well to kill time for an hour or two over there.  Ben was at school, so I only had Kieran with me, and my friend's son is the same age, so they played nicely.  Tired of running around like a loon, Kieran asked, in his cute way, if he could see the animals, and I told him that we could once I'd finished my coffee.  "Too much coffee, Mummy," is the response I had - loudly.  Yes, and some mums did hear him and chuckle! 

He likes to wave his cute little finger at me too as he does it.  He's usually saying, 'One more' with that gesture.  He used it on me yesterday as I put his shoes back on (we were at Puxton again, meeting some more friends - I swear my kids have a better social life than me!) and, holding up his cute index finger, he wanted to go on the 'bouncy pillow first, Mummy.'

He also uses 'ages' because I tend to say that a lot.  'Oh I haven't seen/done this in ages'. Kieran tends to use it... but a little in the wrong context.  Which does make me laugh!
 
Ben can also come out with some classics.  Like the time I was trying to encourage him to eat some of his carrots by saying they would help him see in the dark.  He's not silly!  He replied, 'but carrots go downwards, Mummy.  How do they get to my eyes?'

So you see, you have to be careful what you say, however innocent.  Their little brains are taking it all on board.  What with the continuous asking of 'why?' Thankfully Ben has grown out of that!  Kieran on the other hand...

Anyway, I'd much rather they say these things, than coming out with something truly awful that they've picked up from naughty Mummy having one of her funny turns...

4 comments:

  1. Wait till they start bringing home things they've picked up at school. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'll blame that on another child ;-) Obviously wouldn't have come from me :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked this post. It's very "human" if you'll forgive the rather pretentious description. And very funny! If you haven't done assignment 5 yet you could work this up as an article on watching what you say - and it's a very good point that it's not just swearing you have to look out for. Keep up the good work, enjoying it all so far! Sorry I haven't commented before, been v busy. But will try to be better in future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just noticed the downside to this blog, unlike Live Journal, you can't reply to comments. Are we supposed to be rude and not reply? I'm used to replying to people... it seems rude otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.