Sunday 2 June 2013

Summer Holiday Blog Post Day 1

I thought I would record each day of my family holiday in Polzeath, Cornwall, on my blog. I'll cover one day per blog post. But it would be nice to record my memories and share them with you, if you're interested in reading. I travelled with the boys and my mum, and my dad met us down there. He was already there camping.

Day 1: Saturday 25th May 2013 - Our Arrival


Ben helping unload the car!
Mum and I were up at 5.15am and the boys woke promptly too. Actually, Ben was awake at 3am but realised that was too early and thankfully went back to sleep.

Ben ready for building boats.
We washed, dressed and headed off in our cars - after I'd checked the house a thousand times - for fear of hitting half term/bank holiday traffic. We were on the M5 at 6am and it was quiet. Funnily enough, we were following two Weston Recovery trucks and they went onto the M5 South bound carriage up the wrong way, i.e. heading North. On Monday, the Sun newspaper reported an accident that had happened in the early hours of the morning, which is why the motorway wasn't as busy.

With fantastic light traffic - still can't believe how smooth the drive was - we arrived into Polzeath, after a half hour stop at Honiton for breakfast at McDonalds, 9am on the dot. Our caravan was ready which was a bonus. Mum and I were unpacked by 10.30am. Bringing the boys' bikes was a godsend - it kept them amused while we sorted the caravan. After lunch, we headed down to the beach for the afternoon.

Cold Kieran helping Grandad
Dad found us down there, and as the tide was coming in, we were building boats before we knew it, ready to take on the oncoming tide.

Every year we seem to meet the same family on the beach, who I think do come from Bristol way. Their son, Paddy, is the same age as Kieran. And his brother, Freddy, has grown considering he was a baby when we first met him. Their mum was commenting on how my two had shot up! I was thinking the same about her boys. Sadly, I only have photos with Freddy in.

We spent the early evening on the beach making the most of the high tide. Kids joining forces in their fight against the tide and whether their castle would last.

What a fun packed day, considering it was our 'travelling' day. Really good start to the holiday with sunshine, surf and sand. And the wind. Still the cold wind...

Ben and Freddy, tide's coming!
The boys ended the evening after having pizza for tea, by finding Paddy and playing football with him in the caravan/camp site. Ben is loving being 8 and having some freedom. I still worry though.

Oh, dear, no chance of beating the sea.

Brothers working together.



Lastly, I can't believe how lovely this photo came out.  It's around 5.30pm and looks a lot warmer than it actually was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.