Wednesday 12 July 2017

Two Weeks Being A Full-Time Writer

Me, Rachel Brimble & Jane Lark
This weekend is the RNA Conference and I'm not attending! I'm going to miss the buzz of putting faces to names, catching up with old friends, the pink lanyards, the goodiebags, the late evenings drinking wine and the fantastic writing sessions and talks, and the parties in the kitchens...

I first attended back in 2011, which was the start of my RNA journey, introducing me to the New Writers Scheme, which definitely helped to aid my journey to publication. I then attended back in 2014, as a full member of the RNA and I long to attend again, but sadly, working Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays it buggers up going away weekends generally.

Me, Sue Fortin & Mandy Baggot


However, in hindsight, I could have gone to the RNA Conference this year after all. (I am kicking myself just a little bit). Initially, I didn't have enough holiday to cover taking the time off work and this was my main reason for not committing to attend.

The store where I work is now closed for two weeks for a refit and I'm taking the time off unpaid. It closed Monday, so I don't have to work at all this weekend. In fact I don't go back until Friday 28th July... *rolls eyes*

Our RNA Chapter (Bath & Wiltshire)
Admittedly, my eldest is going on his school trip Sunday - his first time abroad, yet not on a plane. It is also my weekend to have the boys, before they go off for two weeks the following weekend with their dad for the summer holidays, so I still can't drop everything and go now.

Never mind. There's always next year... And I did get to attend the Harper Collins 200th Anniversary Summer Party - so it's not like I've not had a party! (Really need to blog about that one too).
Mary Cross (who sadly passed away this year) & Lizzie Lane

But yes, you read right. I do have two and a bit weeks, off! What am I doing with this time you may ask... Well, I am living the life of a full-time writer! I am making sure I get writing in every day of the week (except weekends - a girl's got to live a little).

Five days a week of writing! Plus the boys will be off the first two weeks of the holidays (although I have to go back to work)... this gives me four weeks to crack on and finish my first draft. So exciting!

For all those attending the RNA Conference this weekend, travel safe, enjoy the experience, and make sure you take plenty of wine... Say hello to everyone from me! x x x



n.b. all photos were taken from the RNA Summer Conference 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.