Thursday, 21 October 2010

Am I Mad?

Last year I was thinking about helping out occassionally in the class room, but because I had Kieran at home I just couldn't do it, not without really planning ahead and getting him babysat.  He's now at preschool every day for three hours, and although I can quite easily fill that time doing stuff, especially writing related, I would like to help out at the school. 

Or at least give it a try - I might hate it yet!

I've even said I'd like to help out at Kieran's preschool every now and then - yes, I am mad!  I was supposed to do that with Ben, too - I had all these good intentions, but never got there because again, I had Kieran to look after. 

I barely have enough time to do the housework, fret about all the writing related things I should be doing, plus fitting in my runs.  But they are only small once... and you'll be surprised how much preschools and schools really do like and appreciate extra help. 

So, I've had to fill out a CRB form and once that's done I'll be able to go into Ben's classroom and help with the reading.  The receptionist was really helpful and said that as long as I can do once every three months, they'd be grateful.  It only needs to be an hour of my time, too.  I can do that!  I was worried that they'd want me in every week or something, committing more regularly, and I'm not sure I can (or want to) commit to more until maybe Kieran was in school too.   And I don't want to stress myself out worrying that I have so much to do (especially writing wise) that I'm a wreck. 

I really enjoyed helping at the school fair, and I was put on the craft table!  Luckily, it wasn't too difficult - making badges and Halloween window decorations.


I was thinking this might be a good way to see if I like working with small children, I could consider becoming a Teaching Assistant and get paid!  It's another idea I've had (racking my brains on how to make money), although I want to obviously pursue my writing career, I need money like now - I need a part time job to work around my children.  I'm utterly fed up working at the shop for various reasons that I won't go into, though if you know me, you know why.   I love the people I work with, but the weekends, and the politics are just driving me mad.  I think I mostly get fed up being treated like an idiot.  (She works in shop she obviously has no brains!)  And wondered if a Teaching Assistant might be something to look into.

On the writing side, what better inspiration than four to six-year old children?