Friday, 22 October 2010

Should They Stay Or Should They Go?


I'm on book 36 of my 40 to read for the year - if I read more it's a plus!  I will set myself that same goal with the aim to beat this years total (so I won't go too mad trying to get over 40 books read!).  However, my bookshelf is crammed, and if I am to buy new books, I just don't have a place for them.  So, do I get rid of some of the books that I've read on there, or do they stay?


This is not my bookshelf - obviously!
I usually like to keep books that I've read, and I am not going to part with my J K Rowling (the boys can read those) my The Hobbit/Lord of The Rings (and those), or Anne Rice, or Charlaine Harris.  And obviously Hubby has his favourites too - Patricia Cornwell will stay.

But what about some of the other books that I've read once, and aren't really likely to pick up again?  Should I 'recycle'* them?  (*Carboot or charity shop).

Now that I am on Goodreads, I register every book I read - so it's not like I'll forget.  But I have this thing about keeping books once read.  Maybe it's to do with parting with cash for them!?

I do part with my Mills and Boon once read - except Liz Fielding. I'm keeping those!

I have the Twilight series on my bookshelf.  They look nice - I like the covers, but I actually found them rather annoying.  The first three are better, and not a bad read, though they do get predictable but Bella still annoys the crap out of me.  However, Breaking Dawn was the last straw for me in that series.  If Stephenie Meyer writes another book, I won't be bothered about reading it.  I am not likely to read these again, unlike my Anne Rice and Charlaine Harris.

As a writer, I keep thinking, should I keep them, will they be of use?  What if I want to look up how someone did something?  But the whole thing about reading lots of books is to expand my brain, vocabulary and learning better ways of writing.  It should sink in, shouldn't it?  Even subconsciously, maybe?

I just want to make space for the new books, though I have told myself that I should go to the library once I've got through my 'to-read' pile that is on the shelf.  Things like some of the classics I'd like to try, and Sherlock Holmes (want to read those since seeing the film with Robert Downy Jr).  It's far too expensive for an unpaid writer to keep buying books.

So, do you keep some books?  Do you pass on some once they're read?  Which ones do you keep?