Monday 18 February 2013

Half-Term Antics

As my kids go back to school this week, I notice that others over the country are off for their half-term. The school holidays with my kids are sacred to me, even more so now that I don't see them at the weekends.

I've always tried to make sure we get a few day trips in during the holidays. Everything to add to their memory box as I call it. Something to look back on, reminisce.

February half-term is a difficult one to fill with fun. It's usually cold and wet. This February half-term was no different. But my mum visited, and we had a trip to the cinema, plus played board games like Scrabble. Ben loved it, and I also felt it was a little educational, helping him with his spelling.


On Thursday (14th February), the best day of the week for weather, we went to Slimbridge. I've added Dad to my membership now, as he likes coming with me, and the four of us ventured to the Wetlands to feed the birds. The paths are fine, but when the boys went off the beaten track they did get a bit muddy. Oh yeah, just a bit. Good job I found the wellies. (In the end I had to let them just be boys lol!)


They were given the choice of steam trains or Slimbridge, and it was nice that they both wanted to go to Slimbridge. I worry they may bore of the birds. We will save the steam trains for Easter.

This time we found two hides that were suitable for the kids to visit. (Trying to get them to be quiet whilst serious bird watchers are trying to take photos and 'watch' rare birds is very stressful. Kids just don't get the word 'quiet'.)

We sat and watched blue tits and woodpeckers feed from bird feeders, and then we found a warm 'hide' where we could watch swans, geese and various varieties of ducks on the lakes.

But their favourite bit is that they are able to feed the birds.

I put the boys in their thermals, so there was no fear of them ever complaining they were cold. But to be honest, when the sun came out, it was a lovely, mild February day. God, I hope that isn't our summer over already!

(I apologise for my lack of blog posting - been meaning to post for a couple of days now). 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.