Monday 29 April 2024

A Doubt In My Storytelling

I went to Telford the other weekend for a company event with UW. 

UW is a FTSE250 company and as a partner I help people save money on their bills, and it helps me earn an additional income, so I have the time freedom to write. 

I was with my friend and mentor, Sue, who introduced me to the business just under four years ago. She is also an avid and prolific reader - in that she prefers a physical book, not an eBook. Her favourite books are the Outlander series. (She was reading them before the series.) She also likes prosecco so this could be why we get on so well. 

If we're not discussing UW, we are talking books whilst sharing a bottle of prosecco! 

Anyway, she'd read Meet Me At Wisteria Cottage, then Plus One is a Lucky Number - I had gifted her a copy of my paperback in the old cover. 

She said that she found Plus One easier to get into than Maeve Binchey's Circle of Friends! After finishing Plus One she asked me which one should she read next, so I said One Fine Day

On Sunday, before the event truly started, while we perused the stalls and grabbed a coffee, she told me she'd finished One Fine Day in four days on her trip to/from Brussels. She loved it and couldn't put it down. Incidentally, she loved the other two books too, and she admitted that the romance genre wouldn't be her usual go to, but she had thoroughly enjoyed my books. 

The reason I'm sharing this is because I have been doubting my storytelling. With rejections for my latest manuscript, where I was hoping it would find a home with a bigger publisher, I've been wondering if I need to rethink my stories, even the genre I write in. 

However, on Sunday, as we were empowered and inspired by brilliant stories from ordinary people, I made the decision that I will continue with romance. I write a damn good story! I just need to find the right publisher. 

I do worry I don't write a strong enough conflict, but if truth be told, when I'm reading a story and it just feels so unbelievable, I can find myself rolling my eyes. So, I write stories that my reader can get invested in, believe, and most importantly, the hero is someone they could meet and fall in love with.

If you've read any of my books, and enjoyed them, please ensure you leave a review where you purchased the book from. This really does help the author. 

Obviously, if you hated it - and you're within your rights to feel that way, I'm not everyone's cup of tea - I'd rather not know... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.