Tuesday 25 March 2014

Fake Friday with Nikki Moore

Fake Friday is here again with Nikki Moore. Nikki and I feature in a Harper Impulse anthology Be My Valentine. I am delighted to have Nikki on my blog to talk about her debut novel with Harper Impulse, Crazy, Undercover, Love.

Take it away, Nikki!


Have you always wanted to be a writer?


Yes! Pretty much for as long as I can remember … since I could read really. The thought of building worlds and creating characters seemed very cool when I was young and it still does :) If I can make a living from it one day, even better. For now, my colleagues in the day job are stuck with me!


Did you manage to get the first book you wrote published, or is it tucked in a drawer somewhere?


The partial manuscript of the first book I wrote 'Learning How to Fall,' was taken off the slush pile at Mills & Boon and they then requested a full MS, sending a very nice rejection after quite a long wait. Tessa Shapcott, who was a lovely senior editor at the time, encouraged me over the years and I continued writing, knocking on doors until I got the answer I wanted! That book is languishing in a box up in my loft somewhere. Funnily enough I never thought of pulling it out again and trying to do something with it. I think I'm too scared of how bad it might actually be! Lol.


What’s so special about your heroine that makes your hero fall in love with her?


Charley – aka Charlotte Caswell-Wright – is feisty and honest yet professional and driven. She's on a quest to right the wrongs done to her, and that makes her both determined and passionate. Alex admires those traits and finds the candid way she speaks to him refreshing. She makes him feel normal, not isolated, which is how he feels as a mega-wealthy CEO in the public spotlight. Charley also has a natural warmth that he finds attractive, especially compared to some of the women he mixes with in his social group. I think the most special thing about her, for Alex, is that she makes him feel like there might another life out there; that anything is possible if you want it enough and don't mind fighting for it.


Why do you like writing romance?


I love writing about love and sex! It's that simple. I guess I'm a big romantic :)


What do you read while you write, or don’t you?


I read most days and over a wide range of different genres including thrillers, romance and crime/police procedurals. I try not to read anything too similar to my own style if I can help it whilst I'm writing the first draft of a new book. Once I'm at the editing stage I read whatever I want!


What is next on your agenda after publishing your (first) book?


Once I've done the initial promo for Crazy, Undercover, Love I'll be finishing off the first draft of my second full length contemporary romance for HarperImpulse. After that I want to go back and work on a book that's very close to my heart, which has a different feel to it and is probably more women's fiction than specifically romance. I have ideas for three or four more books after that so I'm planning to busy for the next few years :)


Are you nervous about friends reading your book?


Yes and no. Yes, because being published and knowing that people (especially those who know me) are reading my stories makes me feel a bit exposed - like venturing out into the snow with no clothes on! No, because my friends love me and have always been massively supportive of my writing.


Do you love or hate Facebook?


I love the interaction and the concept of it, but hate the amount of time I can get drawn in to spending on it when I should be doing other things … like writing the next book or editing the current one!


Cocktail or shot? If so, what one?


Cocktail please – a Cosmo would be great!


Tea or coffee?


Tea, definitely. A perfect start to the day.


Chocolate or ice cream?


Chocolate. A large Galaxy bar with a glass of white wine. Mmmmm....


Dogs or cats?


Both! Neither! We have two cats and a dog!


Crazy, Undercover, Love – Blurb


Uber-feisty career girl Charley Caswell-Wright travels to Barcelona for a weekend assignment as PA to the gorgeous Alex Demetrio, CEO of Demetrio International.

But she's there under entirely false pretenses: to get her life back on track. Having lost the job she worked so hard to earn, she’s determined not to give it up so easily, especially when she didn’t deserve to lose it in the first place.

Mr Dreamy CEO is her only chance of clawing back her career – and her reputation. So she has to keep things strictly professional… boy, is she in trouble!

About Nikki Moore


Nikki Moore lives in beautiful Dorset and writes short stories and sexy contemporary romances. A finalist in several writing competitions including Novelicious Undiscovered 2012, she graduated from the Romantic Novelists Association New Writers' Scheme after four years and and has contributed to their magazine Romance Matters. She has far too much fun attending the annual RNA conference and has previously chaired a panel and taken part in a workshop at the Festival of Romance.
She blogs about some of her favourite things – Writing, Work and Wine – at www.nikkimooreauthor.wordpress.com and believes in supporting other writers as part of a friendly, talented and diverse community.
You can find her on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NikkiMooreAuthor or on Twitter @NikkiMoore_Auth and she invites you to pop in for chats about love, life, reading or writing!

The first chapter of her book Crazy, Undercover, Love can be read for free in the HI sampler at:

She is also a contributor to the RNA/Mills and Boon Anthology Truly, Madly, Deeply  available to buy at:

Thank you, Nikki, for popping by! Good luck with Crazy, Undercover, Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.