Friday 4 November 2011

Book Review: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austin

Sense and SensibilitySense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


**spoilers** but it's been around 200 years, so I'm not so worried in showing them here. But read no further if you don't want spoilers.


*

*

*

*

I did enjoy this book but I must admit Pride and Prejudice is my favourite. Maybe the 'heroes' in this book weren't so compelling. Also, although satisfied with the ending, I don't know if it was me, but I was sort of thinking Colonel Brandon was growing attached more to Elinor, rather than Marianne at one point. Maybe that was Jane Austin's ploy... or did I misunderstand it?  

It could be that I didn't get enough of Edward to believe he was right for Elinor. He was talked about, and thought of, but not really on the page as much as I'd liked, so I couldn't 'see' the love/attraction between them.

This book is still worth a read, if you're into Jane Austin or classics in general. In fact, maybe read it before Pride and Prejudice, so that you don't go comparing too much, which I think is what I was doing.

But I've read it now, so I can watch the DVD that I've got and see how television adapts this book! 



View all my reviews

35 books read!

6 comments:

  1. I like this book, but P&P is my favourite too. The Emma Thompson version with Alan Rickman as Colonel Brandon is great, even though Hugh Grant manages to turn Edward into that guy from 4 Weddings and a Funeral (or... Huge Grant, I suppose).

    And I also wanted Colonel Brandon to end up with Elinor - they seem so much more suited

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugh! Hugh Grant, not Huge Grant (too much Mark Kermode for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've read this book but for the life of me I can't remember it. Time for a re-read I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annalisa, so glad it wasn't just me thinking that about Colonel Brandon. Admittedly, Edward came true in the end, but I didn't feel we saw enough of him to fall in love with his character.

    Oh, will have to look out for the Emma Thompson version. I've got the BBC DVD, same makers as the Pride And Prejudice with Colin Firth as Mr Darcy. lol! At 'Huge' - isn't it a pain you can't edit comments?

    Sarah, let us know your thoughts when you've re-read it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may need to hang my head in shame, as I haven't read any of the classics, I'm much more of a modern tale reader. I would like to read this or Pride and Prejudice when I when I get some time for myself, but at the minute, writing is taking over my life, so I only step in and out of books to read, randomly at the minute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, yes, generally I tend to read the genre I write in. But it is good occasionally to just read something different. My intrigue into reading the classics started with Jane Eyre last year, and I've been hooked ever since. I don't tend to read historical romances, but they just have a different conflict that doesn't really occur in present day romance - and reading the classics just gives you the feel of the time period, because it would have been their contemporary fiction at its time.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.