Monday 16 December 2013

Fake Friday with Michelle Betham

Usually I have my Fake Friday posts on a Tuesday (not that I've had many lol!), but as we all hate Mondays at the best of times, and this day suited Michelle better, I've moved it - it is my blog after all!

Michelle Betham has joined Harper Impulse and her book, The First Christmas Without You will be published on Thursday 19th December! The cover is so lush, I love it! It's available to pre-order NOW!

Michelle allowed me to visit her blog (here) the other day, so I felt it only fair I return the favour. I send over the authors a list of questions, and they pick a few to answer... Here are Michelle's. Please give her a warm welcome!

Have you always wanted to be a writer?


Pretty much so, yes. I’ve lived with my head in the clouds for as long as I can remember now, so I’m glad I’ve finally found the confidence I needed to turn some of those day dreams into stories. And I’ve still got plenty more ready and waiting to be written.

Did you manage to get the first book you wrote published, or is it tucked in a drawer somewhere?


I actually self-published the first book I wrote over two years ago now, followed by another seven after that! After a few rejections back in the early days knocked my confidence slightly, I didn’t really have the courage to submit to publishers again for a long while.

But I think that journey through self-publishing helped me learn a lot of quite invaluable lessons, and gave me the confidence to submit again. I do have about half a dozen unfinished books tucked away all over the place, though. But they’ll no doubt get finished, one day!

Which of your characters is your favourite, and why?


My favourite character has probably got to be hot and handsome movie star Kenny Ross, from my very first self-published Hollywood-based “bonkbuster” ‘No Matter What’, and the follow-up ‘Illusions of Love’. Mainly because I based him on my life-long crush Keanu Reeves, and it gave me a great excuse to use him for extended research purposes! Lol!!

What things inspire you to write? Location, music, film or even in a book?


Oh, I can get my inspiration from anywhere, believe me! I can be doing something completely random and a flash of inspiration can hit me right out of the blue. But I mainly get my inspiration from music, to be honest. Every single one of my books has been written with a “soundtrack”, a play list of songs that have inspired the story or the characters, or even just a particular scene in the book, and that’s the way I love to work. Music is incredibly important to me, and if I’m ever plagued with writers’ block I just stick the old iPod on, listen to some music, and something will usually inspire me to get back to that story. It works every time.

What advice would you give to new writers?


Don’t give up! And I think that’s probably the best advice anyone could give a new writer. Oh, and stick to your own style. Don’t try and copy anyone else, find your own voice.

Do you love or hate Facebook?


I think it depends on the day I’m having, but I err more on the side of liking it. I’ve met some amazing people through social media who have shown me incredible support over the past couple of years; people I would never have got to know if it hadn’t been for Facebook.

Cocktail or shot? If so, what one?


Cocktail – A Long Island Iced Tea. I became addicted to those on a cruise a few years back… they can be quite lethal, though!

Tea or coffee? 


Tea. All the way!

Dogs or cats?


Dogs. I have a little West Highland Terrier and I just love him to bits!

Thank you, Michelle! Good luck on Thursday with the launch of your book! The cover is so Christmassy and frosty and sparkly, it looks amazing. 

The First Christmas Without You – Blurb


A story of love and hope at Christmas, The First Christmas Without You is an emotional and poignant novella.

Young widow Jessie Collins has always wanted to visit Lapland. But this Christmas, more than any other, it’s the place she feels she really needs to be.

It’s time for Jessie to come to terms with a future she didn’t expect, but one she really needs to start living.

Author Bio



Born in the North East of England, I'm an ex-media technician turned author of sexy, steamy - but sometimes humorous - romance novels.

Having spent a couple of years living on the Spanish
Canarian island of Tenerife, I now live in County Durham with my incredibly tolerant husband and West Highland Terrier. I spend most days at my desk drinking endless cups of tea as I create more stories and new characters for future novels - and it's my favourite job!

I'm at my happiest with a large bar of chocolate and a glass of wine, but that happiness has been known to be magnified ten-fold if Timothy Olyphant's on TV.

Michelle's Links: 

The First Christmas Without You – Amazon UK / Amazon US

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.