Wednesday, 4 May 2011

My Weekly Pocket Novel Review

Shame these things don't count towards my Goodreads book count lol! But I've read another pocket novel - slowly, it's been in my handbag.

Review: Rescue My Heart by Carol MacLean 

It's not a bad story, Kate is the eldest of four siblings, and seems to keep the family going etc. especially after their father's death.

Callan is the hero. But I just didn't like that they weren't on the page often enough together. He seemed to announce he loved Kate after one day of meeting!

There were a few knots to tie up, and a couple of them I felt were a bit too 'happy' ending. I mean, would you really want to be Godmother to your ex-boyfriend's child? The history is that her best mate run off with him, but even so. There is burying the past, and then there is burying the past. I could believe that they'd become friends again, but not the Godmother part. I wanted to stick my fingers down my throat!

And the story doesn't really resolve what Kate is going to do in the end either. I would have preferred that tied up. 

A little too much telling for me in this story, and not enough showing. It has a nice element and back story with the rescue centre and the family, but not enough showing of the romance blossoming. For me, out of the three pocket novels I've read, I enjoyed this the least.

And if you're wondering why I'm reading pocket novels, it's all for research. Just seeing what types of stories get published, and to give me a feel for short stories and the types of story lines that get accepted.