Tuesday 17 March 2015

Fake Friday with Bella Osborne

Today I welcome Harper Impulse author, Bella Osborne onto my blog!

Bella and I met way back in May 2014 at the RNA summer party, when I was a contender for the Joan Hessayon award. We seemed to hit it off! I remember you telling me you were going to become a Harper Impulse author, and I had to keep it a secret. It felt like forever for Harper Impulse to announce you. How hard was it to keep a secret that long offline?

It was ridiculously hard! Friends and family have been amazingly supportive so kept asking for updates and I was running out of holding phrases! I am also quite an excitable person so trying to keep that under wraps was particularly tricky!

Yes, you're very much like me. I can imagine how hard it was. What did it feel like once the secret was out?

It was totally brilliant to be able to share the news and a bit of a relief too, I'd make a rubbish spy!

So would I! Can't keep a secret for the life of me. I can't believe I managed to keep yours.

So, Bella, have you always wanted to be a writer?

I have always been writing, I started at primary school and didn’t stop. But I would never have said I wanted to be a writer – people like me don’t become writers! If I’d ever thought it was an option then I would have jumped at the chance but being a writer was never put forward as anything other than a hobby or something you did at school.

Did you manage to get the first book you wrote published, or is it tucked in a drawer somewhere?

First whole book yes I did! How cool is that? First story - no, I’m afraid not. I wrote a cracking story when I was nine about a thief that stole the crown jewels and this sadly remains unpublished. Although my teacher did type it up and pin it on the classroom wall – it was a proud day. I also have a drawer full of partly completed novels where I merrily set off writing and lost interest or was distracted by a custard crème. 

What do you do with a paperback once you’ve read it?

If I’ve enjoyed it I will pass it on to a friend. I have a bit of a book thing in that I can’t break the spine of a paperback so I read them barely open and at a strange angle (yes, I know this is odd behaviour) and I almost faint if I see someone turn a corner down! So usually when I pass on paperbacks they look like they’re brand new!

What advice would you give to new writers?

Seek out other writers. I can’t explain how brilliant it feels to be around other writers. I would recommend joining groups, courses and the myriad of genre writing associations. I joined the Romantic Novelists Association on their New Writer’s Scheme and I have learned so much from their events, met some amazing writers and made some terrific friends.

Make time to write. If you really want to write, then something else has to give; be it social media, Candy Crush, television, sleep or the cleaning – trust me in a year’s time you won’t regret not having done those things but you will regret not having found time to write.


What things inspire you to write? Location, music, film or even in a book?

Sleep mainly! My best ideas wake me up but unfortunately this is often in the middle of the night and I struggle to get back to sleep. I also earwig conversations and jot down any ideas that spring to mind throughout the day. 

What is next on your agenda after publishing your (first) book?

I am very pleased to say that book two is written and is with my editor, so there will be some editing required once she’s read it. I have just finished my first attempt at a children’s story so it will be interesting to see if it is good enough to get published. But right now I am very focused on counting down to my holiday!

Do you love or hate Facebook?

I am totally confused by Facebook! I love Twitter but could do with a dummies guide to Facebook if anyone has one. I set up an author page and it has one ‘like’ and that was from me – so I’m pretty sure I’m doing something wrong!

Cocktail or shot? If so, what one?

Cocktail! They remind me of holidays and I love being on holiday, it is one of my most favourite things. I like a Mojito but if I am being honest I must confess that I also like a Pina Colada. Oh the shame of it!

Tea or coffee?

Tea with a custard crème.

Thanks so much, Bella for joining me on my blog today. Good luck with It started At Sunset Cottage.


About It Started At Sunset Cottage

‘A well written and very intriguing tale that I really enjoyed.’ – Katie Fforde

Kate Marshall is slowly getting her life back on track after losing her fiancé. As an author she has been able to hide herself away from the world and its expectations – but now one of her books has been optioned for a film and Hollywood suddenly comes knocking on her door!

When Kate is given the opportunity to stay at a beautiful country retreat and concentrate on the screenplay, it’s an offer she can’t refuse. Encouraged by her best friend, sharp-tongued single mum Sarah, Kate sees it’s finally time to stop letting life pass her by.

Looking for confidence and inspiration in the idyllic Cotswolds countryside, the last thing Kate expects is for Timothy Calder, A-list actor and leading man in the movie adaptation of her book, to turn up on her doorstep, hoping to lie low after his latest tabloid scandal! But after a rocky start, with Tim narrowly avoiding death by watering can, they find they have a few things in common: a liking for Lady Grey tea, walnut whips and bad ‘knock knock’ jokes. Actually, the bad jokes are just Tim.

As an unlikely friendship begins to blossom, and with circumstances repeatedly throwing them together, is Sunset Cottage where both Kate and Tim’s lives will really start?

Buy links: Amazon UK ~ Amazon US

Short Bio – Bella Osborne

Bella has been jotting down stories as far back as she can remember. Her first story, written when she was nine, was about a thief who stole the crown jewels and this sadly remains unpublished. However, undeterred, she continued to write stories for adults and 'It Started At Sunset Cottage' is her debut novel.

She likes to find the humour in the darker moments of life and weaves these into her stories. Bella believes that writing your own story really is the best fun ever, closely followed by talking, eating chocolate, drinking fizz and planning holidays.

She lives in The Midlands with her lovely husband and wonderful daughter, who thankfully, both accept her as she is (with mad morning hair and a penchant for skipping).


For more about Bella, visit her website at www.bellaosborne.com or follow her on Twitter - @osborne_bella




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.