Tuesday 20 March 2012

One Novel Down

By Jove, I think I've only gone and done it!

Yes, I've finished editing The Wedding Favour! There is probably more work that could be done to it, but it could go on and on forever. And I've got to the point, it's polished, let's see if someone actually likes it - I'll be glad to see the back of it! If it is successful, I'm pretty sure an editor will want their say in some of the editing. I think I've taken it as far as I can basically.

Sort of Adam... I've found it harder to find a visual
So now?

Well, I'm going to let it rest for a couple of weeks, then put it onto my Kindle (very useful for writers are ereaders!) and give it one more read through. Just to make sure I've crossed all the T's and dotted the I's. Then I will start submitting. (I'm very nervous about this bit). I've listed and looked at some publishers that I think it fits. It's a contemporary romance. There are a couple of sex scenes, but the heat level is nowhere near erotica.

I know that it will get rejections, and I am fearing this. Maybe mainly, with everything else going on in my life, I really would like to achieve something with my writing, to know that I'm on the right path, I'm doing the right thing, and my future will seem a whole lot brighter. This might be that light at the end of the tunnel I really need to see.
Steve - Perfect Isn't An Option

In the mean time I will carry on writing Perfect Isn't An Option (which I'm rather excited about), targeting myself 1000 words a day. If I start 26th March latest (as I have my son's birthday coming up this weekend, I need to focus on that - plus it gives me time to read through what I've already written), then to add another 45-47,000 words to my so far 33,000 word total, should take me to beginning of May.  So watch the counter to the right, I'll be updating again with my word count as it increases!

This is the novel I want to send to the RNA NWS - so it will have to get polished up, in making sure it reads well by end of August. But I might go with the approach of "chucking it all at the wall, and seeing what sticks."

Gosh, I feel like I want to crack open the champagne just for finishing a novel. But I'm saving that bottle in the fridge for my first paid published piece. Will it be The Wedding Favour?

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing your first novel! That is a huge achievement in its own right, so I hope you celebrate having done it or marked it in some way.

    Best of luck with your plans for Perfect Isn't An Option. They sound entirely do-able, and it's good that you've chosen to start after your son's birthday. You seem to be realistic in what you can achieve and when, so I'm sure you'll hit your deadline in May. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've just put a cake in the over (a mincemeat & marzipan teabread to be precise - thought it would use up some stuff from Christmas lol!) - so I'll eat cake and coffee with Dad later :D

      I have learnt through life, that if I put too much on myself I get very stressed and turn into not a very nice person - plus I then cry a lot! It's better to create realistic goals, with plenty of room for manoeuvre. With two kids, I just like to give myself plenty of time. They can always throw a spanner in the works, plus they really should take priority. I might get some writing done this week, but I do have a birthday cake to make and housework to catch up on, with house guests arriving this weekend, etc. so I'm not going to stress myself over it.

      Delete
  2. Well done Teresa - you are way ahead of me. I seem to be making every excuse under the sun not to edit mine. Congratulations and don't forget to celebrate. Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, Morton, if I can do it, so can you! Have you got a proof reader to bounce ideas off etc. I did find that helped with the editing. I'm happy to give it a read through if you like? I can put it onto my kindle.

      But thanks for the well wishes. I'll keep you posted, and I've just put something in the oven, so celebratory cake and coffee later with my dad :D

      Delete
  3. Well done. And it's great you have something new to work on straight away, to take your mind off the submission process. Wishing you lots of luck and every success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a friend said this. And I do have plenty of 'bunnies' to work on. I keep wondering whether I should work on some shorter pieces and try and get those out there, but the novels are what I enjoy most - just will take longer to see something 'productive' from them (i.e. money lol!)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finishing your novel and best of luck with your submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Teresa! Definitely something to celebrate ... maybe a new bottle of champagne is in order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't afford champagne... but I think I do have some other fizzy plonk about :D

      Delete
  6. Well done again! :) The submitting is scary, but if you don't try then it will definitely never be published, so it's the journey you have to take. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know it's the next process. Just weird how nerve-racking it is!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on finishing! That is huge.

    And good luck submitting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. It's taken over a year, but I got there in the end.

      Delete
  8. This is brilliant news Teresa, I'm so pleased for you. You give me hope that it can be done :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.