Friday 9 March 2012

Is There Such A Thing As Too Many Books?

Not sure if my Kindle is a blessing or a hindrance. I bought another ebook the other day as it was only 72p - Jane Lovering's Please Don't Stop The Music.

The problem is when I see it so cheap... I can't help but click 'buy'. 

I'm a bit of a fan of the Choc Lit authors (and secretly dream - though not much of a secret now - of being one myself. I just fear I'm not quite right) and would like to read as many as possible of them - eventually. So far I've read all of Sue Moorcroft's and one of Christina Courteney's (with another on my shelf to read).


I have quite a collection of books, on my bookshelf and on my Kindle, and wondering if my target of 40 a year should be upped! However, if I read more, I'd write less. And it's all about finding a balance. Well, I assume. Doesn't help I'm reading Harry Potter to my son, but I'm enjoying that too much to give up on (and the books count to my yearly total :D).

The thing is, with Choc Lit novels, I quite like having the physical book because their covers are lush! But until I'm a paid writer, I can't justify buying lots of books - plus I have so many on the bookshelf to read, I really, really must not buy any more.

One messy, cluttered bookshelf.
At least when I buy an ebook it's not taking up any more space (that I don't have) on my bookshelf. This is the plus side to a Kindle. I can treat myself to a book occasionally and it's hidden away electronically.

Currently I am reading Matt Dunn's Ex-Girlfriend United (in paperback not ebook) - which is really funny. I can't stop smiling as I read. I wanted to read a romance written by a bloke. And the story is in male first person. My next book I will be writing will be more about the hero than the heroine, so I wanted to get the 'male voice' in my head and hope reading things like Matt Dunn will help me. See it's all research.

I think the best thing about writing is that it has made me read more. 

What are you reading right now? Do you own a Kindle/eReader? Do you have to stop yourself from buying more books?

16 comments:

  1. Haha it's addictive. I don't own a kindle but recently discovered the free reading apps, genius! There are so many free books as well. Must learn to read faster then we can buy more! :)

    Universal Gibberish

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too easy to buy books on a Kindle. You don't even need to leave your home! :D I know that's the same as with a real book thanks to the likes of Amazon - but you don't even have to wait for it to be delivered. Very scary! You buy it and instantly you have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could compare it to the lottery, then ordering a physical book online is like buying a ticket for the Saturday draw. But Kindle books are like scratchcards. Instant gratification!

      Delete
    2. This is very true. And you at least *win* every time with an ebook - well, unless it's a duff one, I suppose.

      Delete
  3. A have a Sony eReader and a Kindle. I'd really like an iPad too. But we're still having a new 6 ft bookcase delivered next week to store the books we've run out of space for,not including all the boxfulls in the loft. There are four of us and we can't stop ourselves. We just love books ... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need a new bookshelf too. I must admit. I've actually passed on books I've read because I haven't got the space. But really, I do like to keep them. So now I keep my favourites. The ones I know I won't read again, I forward on.

      Delete
  4. I had a Kindle for Christmas and love it. I'm 88% of the way through Gone With The Wind at the moment. I think I'm the only person on the planet whose never read the book or seen the film!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *hesitantly puts hand up in the air* I haven't read it or watched it either :-O But I've only really just read Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, and Jane Eyre!

      I'm slowly making my way through the classics, thanks to my Kindle. I have all of Sherlock Holmes on there. I really want to read those!

      Delete
  5. No. There is no such thing as too many books, There is, however, such a thing as too little space :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. And not enough time to read all the books, either. I think that's why I like Goodreads. If I see a book I like and want to read, I add it, so I can't forget.

      Delete
  6. I recognise that bookshelf - I have several like it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had several. I need another bookshelf. I hate it looking so messy!

      Delete
  7. I'm reading The Leopard by Jo Nesbo and it's actually in paperback form. I do find that I have to stop myself downloading books on the kindle. It's far too easy and I'm just never going to get to them all, especially if I keep adding to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel like this too. I suppose there is that security that we will never be bored. lol! And at least they are all stored on one device. If I go into a charity shop and pick a book up for a £1 I've got to find space on my bookshelf for it :-P

      Delete
  8. No such thing as too many books. I love my Kindle, but I too have a huge physical TBR pile.

    I'm currently reading "The Best Of Men" by Claire Letemendia. It is a hardback and two inches thick. It is gripping me but I can't read for long in bed as it is so heavy. I try to alternate between a Kindle book and a physical one.

    Just read Nell Dixon's "Renovation, Renovation, Renovation" and thoroughly enjoyed it. If you like Matt Dunn, then try "The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook". I laughed so much, my husband and son read it too. Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I want to reduce the physical pile... Some I can then hand on, and some I can find a better place on the bookshelf. I don't actually like parting with books I've read, but I've found I've had to be stricter with myself.

      Oh, and "The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook" is the book before this one I am reading. I wish I'd read it first, but I think there is one after this one too with Ed & Dan.

      Delete

I love reading your comments and I will try to reply when I can. Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment.