Friday, 7 January 2011

Getting Nervous Again

This morning I popped into the school to hand over my (CRB) criminal record check, so that they have a copy.  I now need to speak with Ben's teacher to arrange when she would like me to come in and help with reading.  Then, I'll just need to go in for a quick induction and I'm all set.

Because I helped out at the Autumn Fair, I also got an invite to a 'Friends' meeting.  Organised it with my dad.  He'll have the kids, so I can attend it Tuesday.  I would like to get more involved with the school where I can.  Not to the point it takes over, but that I feel I'm supporting my local community. 

So then I start panicking.  Am I doing too much? Will it eat into my writing time?  But I want to do these things and what better resource of inspiration than children.

I want to really get on with this writing lark and start making money from it!  So I'm trying to do as much as I can in the time I'm given

My evenings have been spent solid editing my novel at the moment - I've got a bug for it, while the characters are talking to me, I just feel I've got to write it!  But I'm working so hard, my RSI has flared up!

Then, I have to go to work this afternoon.  Only three hours, but it looms over me like a very heavy lead weight.  This aids my worry.  Once I'm there I'm fine - ish, but getting there is depressing.  I can't grumble (although I do), it's regular money, (I need a regular small income) but it makes me miserable.  Those three hours could be spent editing my novel, writing a short story, or reading for my assignment, or even, having fun with my kids.

My dream is to make enough from writing I can give up this job.  That's my objective for this year. 



Generally, I am an organised person.  But I fret.  Whereas when I worked full time, I knew the environment, and that generally I could go in and get done what needed to be done.  Here, I have many external things, beyond my control, I find it hard to schedule.

I've decided, in the mornings, while I drink my first cup of coffee, this will be updating blog and catching up with emails etc. time.  I've even set the timer on the oven to make sure I don't get carried away - so I only have half an hour!

I only get three hours a day free time.  So need to use those wisely - some have to be taken up with exercise, too.  Today, after my coffee, I have got to vacuum upstairs.  The sooner I get that done, the quicker I can be back down here sorting out some of my writing.

I want to sort out the four short stories I've written and see if they're any good for somewhere like the People's Friend.  They are too long for Take A Break, and after reading their requirements, I'm not sure I could write a story to fit.

Right, that's my alarm going off! Time to get to the housework...